Wiki Proper use of CPT 99000

JGGBALLEN

Networker
Best answers
Hello and thank you to anyone that replys :)

I have been asked by a provider with a facility lab, can they submit a charge for sending specimens to an outside lab for 2nd opinions.

I located CPT code 99000?

The descriptor, “Handling and/or conveyance of specimen for transfer from the physician's office to a laboratory,” is a concern for me.

Do I take it literally or do/can providers within a facility lab submit this charge as well?

I understand that it is intended to be reported when the practice incurs costs to handle and/or transport a specimen to a lab. For example, if the practice employs a messenger service to transport a specimen,
NOT the obtaining of the specimen.

It is my understanding that 99000 is to be charged by the physicians office. I do know that our lab does not charge when we need to send something to another lab for whatever reason. Does that mean we can't, or just don't? That I don't know.

S Brauch, CPC

Can a physician's office charge 99000 if the outside lab picks the specimens up at the physician's office? Or is this only to be charged to recoup the expense for delivery and supply charges? Thank you for any responses. :)