Wiki Prostate Biopsy

Jessim929

Guru
Best answers
I kind of asked this the other day but nobody answered, but it might not have been clear, so let me rephrase... Because it's actually becoming a hot discussion in my office. I hope someone has some more insight! :)

When the physicians are doing prostate biopsies, the standard TRUS is usually freehand obtaining of the samples, am I correct?

The transperineal saturation sampling is the bone of contention here. I found a case from an Italian professor (Miano, Roberto. “Transperineal Prostate Biopsy: State of the Art” February 7, 2018. Accessed Jan 2019. https://grandroundsinurology.com/Transperineal-Prostate-Biopsy/) where he appears to make a case for not using the stereotactic template, but that the template is preferred because the software to read the samples isn't as sophisticated yet.

Anyway, the real question is: is the stereotactic grid an absolute? Or does the number of samples matter more? (Most of them take about 48 samples when they do it transperineally, vs. an average of 12 in a TRUS) If they're freehanding the 48 samples wouldn't that qualify for a 55706 or does the dictation absolutely 100% need to state some version of "stereotactic grid placed" in order for it not to be a 55700?

Thanks in advance!!

I hope we can find an answer to this as my doctor did this last week. I actually sent my operative note into the AUA and I will hear back from them in a couple weeks. I was also thinking the 55706.

Please let me know if you hear anything! I keep searching almost daily for an answer - phrasing my search any which way I can.

I just heard back from the AUA and they said the correct code for the transperineal biopsy is 55706. I sent in my operative report and my doctor did not use the grid.

Thank you!!!!

Did they give any rationale besides? Like approach, number of samples? Or just yay or nay?