Wiki Prostate cancer with cancer symptoms

Best answers
my coworker is telling me to code prostate cancer with weak stream and urine retention. Would it be inappropriate to code the symptoms with prostate cancer? The md states the pt wants to see his urologist for his symptoms to see if the will improve. My thought it to not code the symptoms of prostate cancer since the pt is currently getting treated for it. Any suggestions?

my coworker is telling me to code prostate cancer with weak stream and urine retention. Would it be inappropriate to code the symptoms with prostate cancer? The md states the pt wants to see his urologist for his symptoms to see if the will improve. My thought it to not code the symptoms of prostate cancer since the pt is currently getting treated for it. Any suggestions?

I do not code those symptom codes with prostate cancer.

(FWIW, I work in oncology, and I code at least 10-15 prostate cancer charts a day. I see those or similar symptoms on the majority of the notes. Those are pretty common symptoms associated with prostate cancer.)

Hi Rachael
Thank you for responding. But can also use dx C62.91 if provider documented which side cancer reappeared such as in right testicle and Z19.2.
Lady T

I do not code those symptom codes with prostate cancer.

(FWIW, I work in oncology, and I code at least 10-15 prostate cancer charts a day. I see those or similar symptoms on the majority of the notes. Those are pretty common symptoms associated with prostate cancer.
i saw this thread on prostate cancer and wanted to ask about coding metastases and when you don't have the original site of origin I believe its c80?