Provider refers patient to walk in clinic or emergency room.

Brenda1973

Contributor
Best answers
My providers are Telemedicine. They are not ED providers, they are all virtual care. Some visits are just not treatable via telemedicine such as an (object in ear, chest pain, severe allergic reaction, child with UTI symptoms, ect.) in those cases my providers (MD's and NP) will refer them to in person care such as (walk-in clinic or ER). In those cases when I say "nothing was done ", I mean medications where not discussed, no written referral, no plan, nothing other than a diagnosis and a statement of "this is not on the telemedicine platform, and you need to be seen in person." Where does this fall on the "risk of complications" table? or do I need to decide myself as far as chest pain is more of a risk than object in an ear? I'm reading all of the wording under 99212-99215 under "risk of complications" on the MDM cheat sheet or graph for EM levels 99212-99215 and it's just not black and white to me as which category this falls under. Some providers give this 99215 because they feel it's serious, other providers give it a 99212 because they are not treating the problem addressed, they are referring it to another provider (the walk-in clinic or ER). I hope this makes sense and you can advise me. Thank you!