Wiki pseudopolyps

CRmiller

New
Best answers
When coding a colonoscopy with a finding of pseudopolyps does that classify the pt as having pseudopolyposis?. In reverse it is true that if you have pseudopolyposis you would have pseudopolyps but I am not sure if by having pseudopolyps that would lable a pt as having pseudopolyposis.

Please let me know what you think!

Pseudopolyposis and pseudopolyps

Absolutely...to be considered to have pseudopolyposis, you must first have the offending pseudopolyp and vice versa, if you have a pseudopolyp, you are considered as having pseudopolyposis. Pseudopolyps are NOT pre-malignant polyps but have the characteristics of them and hats off to the many docs who call it as they see it. Too many docs just call these polyps which are considered pre-malignant.

Have I muddied the waters? I'm really good at that :)

Joyce

I have a related question...if a patient is diagnosed with pseudopolyposis and ulcerative colitis, do we report both dx codes? (i.e. 556.9 , 556.4) Or, does 556.4 include the ulcerative colitis?

benign lymphoid pseudopolyp of colon

Absolutely...to be considered to have pseudopolyposis, you must first have the offending pseudopolyp and vice versa, if you have a pseudopolyp, you are considered as having pseudopolyposis. Pseudopolyps are NOT pre-malignant polyps but have the characteristics of them and hats off to the many docs who call it as they see it. Too many docs just call these polyps which are considered pre-malignant.

Have I muddied the waters? I'm really good at that :)

Joyce

How would this be coded - benign lymphoid pseudopolyp of the colon. Also, maybe because it's so many years later - there is no longer a pseudopolyposis code in my ICD-10...there's a K51.40 inflammatory polyps of the colon, but based on my diagnosis - it doesn't sound inflammatory.

Thanks.

Kimberlee

I have a related question...if a patient is diagnosed with pseudopolyposis and ulcerative colitis, do we report both dx codes? (i.e. 556.9 , 556.4) Or, does 556.4 include the ulcerative colitis?

No, pseudopolyps are seen in ulcerative colitis so you should just code the latter.

This seems to be a fairly common question, so I'm just going to leave a definition here.