Wiki Psych testing - 96101,96103

Best answers
I posted earlier, but am not seeing it, so posting again.

WPS' LCD states the time spent explaining the report to the patient/family is billed with the code used to perform the test.

My providers have historically billed a therapy code for that results/plan visit.
96101 is time based. So if the total testing/scoring/report prep time is 6 hours, and they spend 1 hour going over results/developing a plan with the patient, would we bill 7 units of 96101?

96103 is not time based. So if the Provider spends 30 minutes monitoring the patient during the computerized test, then spends 30 minutes reviewing results/developing a plan with the patient, can he only bill 96103? Can he bill the 30 minute therapy code?

Any input is appreciated.

psychological testing 95101-96103

i worked for psych docs and i have a question about the testing. when billing psychological testing the assessment test and interpretation and report time can be several different days. i would like to know how to determine what date of service to bill. is it the date of the assessment or the day the testing is done or the date i finish my report????

we are having a hard time with authorizations due to date conflict. thanks

tina thompson

Test & going over results

I posted earlier, but am not seeing it, so posting again.

WPS' LCD states the time spent explaining the report to the patient/family is billed with the code used to perform the test.

My providers have historically billed a therapy code for that results/plan visit.
96101 is time based. So if the total testing/scoring/report prep time is 6 hours, and they spend 1 hour going over results/developing a plan with the patient, would we bill 7 units of 96101?

96103 is not time based. So if the Provider spends 30 minutes monitoring the patient during the computerized test, then spends 30 minutes reviewing results/developing a plan with the patient, can he only bill 96103? Can he bill the 30 minute therapy code?

Any input is appreciated.

For 96101, yes 7 units for test, scoring, interpretation, report and going over results (7 units)
96103 is not time based, no matter how long it takes it's 1 unit. In order to code therapy for going over the results it has to be documented as therapy with elements of type of therapy, therapeutic technique, content of what was discussed and total time for therapy. End of discussion lol
Hope this helps :)
Barbara