Wiki Psych Visit Coding

hfisher09

New
Best answers
I had a patient come into my office for a 99213 with a PA. Said patient ended here for 45 minutes and a crisis team was called. Can we be a 90836 and 90785?

Thanks

If psychotherapy was performed by the PA, then you can bill the add on code 90836. Why do you think a 90785 is warranted? I'm not seeing it on the information presented.

I wouldn't bill psychotherapy for a mid-level provider. Generally speaking, psychotherapy codes are billable by mental health providers; social workers, psychologists and occasionally psychiatrists. Often, psychotherapy codes require pre-certificaiton, and you may get a denial if billed by a PA. In this case, bill the E&M code that most closely matches the level of service, by time if it's documented.

When I was working in mental health, we had PAs and NPs that had mental health specialties. I wouldn't rule out psychotherapy on that basis alone, that's why I said "if psychotherapy was performed". Preauthorizations are another matter (although when I left mental health, we were at the point where very few insurances were requiring auths for routine outpatient psychotherapy).

Can codes 99214 and 90785 be billed together? Thanks,
No, the 90785 is only billable with psychotherapy codes 90791-90838. If the provider feels there was more complexity to the encounter, they should bill the service based on time for E/M codes.

Hello everyone,

I have a question. I understand that 90791 cannot be billed in conjunction with an e/m by the same individual. Does that mean all the providers in the same office? or just an individual?