Wiki Psychiatric E/M or Hospital Admission E/M?

Best answers
Hello. Is a 5150 hospital admission billed as a 90791 or a regular E/M (ie: 99223). I'm pretty sure it's only one or the other and not both. Thanks for your input!

Hello. Is a 5150 hospital admission billed as a 90791 or a regular E/M (ie: 99223). I'm pretty sure it's only one or the other and not both. Thanks for your input!
Hello. I just started coding psychiatric notes. And the first work queue they put me in is inpatient. I was told when it’s initial psychiatric note without medication management, we code 90791 and when there is medication management 90792 without additional E/M. Again, I just started learning the specialty.

Hello. I just started coding psychiatric notes. And the first work queue they put me in is inpatient. I was told when it’s initial psychiatric note without medication management, we code 90791 and when there is medication management 90792 without additional E/M. Again, I just started learning the specialty.
Thanks natashalage!

You are correct that you can't use both. We have a 16-bed psychiatric inpatient unit and not part of a large hospital system and our providers routinely use 99223 for the initial visit. They are also the attending. There are many scenarios to decide which code would be appropriate.