Wiki Psychological Screening

tcoder5

Networker
Best answers
We have a clinical psychologist who performs screenings. Patients are referred by a physician. Patients are given the screenings and they fill them out and return to the office. The psychologist then generates a report and reports it to the patient and the referring physician. This is not a fact to face meeting. I am looking for the most accurate CPT code for this screening. 96130 seems appropriate since I believe this would be considered part of a diagnostic testing service. Anyone with experience with screenings please jump in. Thanks

it would not be 96130 as that needs a minimum of 31 minutes of provider to patient time. the closest I can find is 96160 but I think that also requires face to face time although I am not 100% certain of that.

Thank you, I now see the "interactive feedback to the patient" stated on the 96130. Are you interpreting that as face to face time. I am not sure the 96160 would be appropriate. 96127 looks more appropriate to me and I do not believe it needs to be face to face. Thoughts?

Last edited:
the 96130 indicates evaluation by provider so that would need to be face to face. I feel the 96127 also needs face to face time because it says with scoring and documentation it does not indicate scoring and report only.

Psychological Testing

96101 was deleted. According to ODM (Ohio Department of Medicaid) eff 1/1/19 we have to bill the following replacement codes:

96136- Psych or neuro psych test admin- 1st 30 min
-add on code 96137- add'l 30 min

96130-Psychological testing eval-1st 60 min
-add on code 96131-add'l 60 min

When we billed 96101 it was based on a 3 hour Forensic assessment that was performed by the Psychologist here on staff. My question is; do we now bill all four codes ?