Wiki Psychology Practicum Student: Billing question

kimberly514

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Anyone have any experience in how to bill for the services provided by a
Psychology Practicum Student? We have a Therapist that is supervising one
and has questions about the documentation guidelines for the services.

My understanding is that in order to bill for the Psychotherapy services that the Licensed Therapist would need to either be in the room with the student, watching through a 2 way mirror or a live video feed of the therapy session.

If the student is seeing the patient alone and the Therapist is later listening to an audio recording of the session, I don't think that would satisfy the requirement for that provider to bill for the student's services.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Anyone have any experience in how to bill for the services provided by a
Psychology Practicum Student? We have a Therapist that is supervising one
and has questions about the documentation guidelines for the services.

My understanding is that in order to bill for the Psychotherapy services that the Licensed Therapist would need to either be in the room with the student, watching through a 2 way mirror or a live video feed of the therapy session.

If the student is seeing the patient alone and the Therapist is later listening to an audio recording of the session, I don't think that would satisfy the requirement for that provider to bill for the student's services.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

That nears dangerous treatment. Students may not see the patient by themselves. The licensed therapist has to be in the room. You would not be able to bill for a student.