Wiki PT denial 97001/GP, 97110/GP, 97140/GP

Best answers
Hello,

We received a denial from Medicare for PT services 97001/GP, 97110/GP X2, & 97140. The denial code states that payment for 97110/GP x2 & 97140/GP are included in the allowable for another procedure.

I have been researching CMS rules on submitting these codes together and am drawing a blank. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

You probably need to apply functional limitation reporting info in order to get the claim paid. None of those codes are typically bundled but I suppose depending on your MAC they may want a 59 modifier on 97001. We do not usually need to apply the 59 when billing these codes together.

Missy Lupercio
Spooner PT

I read this many years ago in a newsletter from decision health. I always had issues getting reimbursement for an evaluation and modalities on the same day. Since I read the article I stopped the therapists from doing this and no problems since then. I have talked with many others that code for rehab and they also had the same problem every time they tried to bill an evaluation with a modality. But then again it could just be the modifies as suggested. Try that and see.

Anytime you have an evaluation (97001) or re-evaluation (97002), you must use Functional Limitation (G) codes. There should not be any other issue with your claim; only time you need a 59 modifier is w/ the re-evaluation code. (As an aside, you would also need G codes on every 10th visit.)