Wiki PT/INR Finger stick with 99211

jricci

New
Best answers
All,
Does anyone know the appropriate usage of 99211 with finger stick PT/INR in office? What are the do's and dont's regarding the 99211 documentation?
Appreciate any feedback and relative documentation. We are Novitas MAC (Texas).
Thanks,

Janine Ricci, CHONC
Director of Revenue Cycle
Austin Cancer Centers
512-334-2654

Per AAFP

Prothrombin time testing with 99211

Q

I am considering adding CLIA-waived fingerstick prothrombin time testing to my outpatient clinic services. In addition to charging for the fingerstick (36416) and the test (85610), can I also bill a level-I office visit to cover my nurse's involvement in obtaining the specimen, running the test, processing the results and adjusting the warfarin dose?

A

It depends. If your nurse provides a medically necessary E/M service to the patient and if your payer has a policy that allows the reporting of E/M services by nurses under the supervision of a physician (e.g., Medicare's incident-to billing rule), you may report a 99211 in addition to 36416 and 85610. Check with your private payers to determine whether they have an incident-to rule in place.

Reports from Medicare audit contractors have noted that the documentation for these types of visits often fails to indicate medically necessary E/M services, which has led to the denial of 99211 services. To meet the requirements for a 99211 visit, nurses should document the reason for the visit, changes in the patient's history, medications or diet, instructions for continuing the physician's plan of treatment, and any discussion that occurs. For more guidance, see ?Understanding When to Use 99211,? FPM, June 2004, and ?The Ins and Outs of ?Incident-To? Reimbursement,? FPM, November/December 2001.

You should also check which payers reimburse anticoagulation management under codes 99363 (for the first 90 days of therapy) and 99364 (for each subsequent 90 days of therapy). These codes include the physician review and interpretation of test results, patient instructions, dosage adjustment (as needed) and ordering of additional tests. When reporting 99363 and 99364, you may not report an E/M office visit code. (Note that Medicare does not reimburse the anticoagulation management codes in 2007, and the proposed rule for 2008 still lists them as noncovered.)

http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2007/1100/p15.html#fpm20071100p15-sa3

Hope this helps!
Stephanie Walker, CPC

All,
Does anyone know the appropriate usage of 99211 with finger stick PT/INR in office? What are the do's and dont's regarding the 99211 documentation?
Appreciate any feedback and relative documentation. We are Novitas MAC (Texas).
Thanks,

Janine Ricci, CHONC
Director of Revenue Cycle
Austin Cancer Centers
512-334-2654

If the only thing performed was a fingers tick you should not use a 99211 you use the code for finger stick, 36416. There is specific criteria that must be met if this is to be called a nurse Coumadin encounter for a 99211. You can find this specified on the Medicare website. The anticoagulant encounter codes are for physician face to face every 90 days. But if you are going to use those codes you cannot use the 99211 for the visits in between. Be very careful when using the 99211 for this purpose and be certain the RN is documenting everything that needs to be there.

Does anyone have a link to some information regarding this on Medicare's website?

We have been billing 85610 with 99211 in the best based on the requirements for the nursing visit but lately, Medicare is automatically denying our claims.

We are billing them as follows:

99211-25

They are denying with B15 - CO
Payment adjusted because this service/procedure requires that a qualifying service/procedure be received and covered. The qualifying other service/procedure has not been received/adjudicated.