Wiki Pta-Percutaneous transluminal

bridie25

Networker
Best answers
Someone help please....

Doctor did a Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty of in-stent stenosis in the saphenous vein graft, right coronary artery.

Normally I would code a PTA of the right coronary artery with 92920 and use the RC mod to indicate which vessel. My question is, is there a different CPT for performing a PTA in a stent that is in a graft?

I know for LHC and RHC there is a different code but I want to make sure of this before I send it in.

Any insight would be helpful.

Someone help please....

Doctor did a Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty of in-stent stenosis in the saphenous vein graft, right coronary artery.

Normally I would code a PTA of the right coronary artery with 92920 and use the RC mod to indicate which vessel. My question is, is there a different CPT for performing a PTA in a stent that is in a graft?

I know for LHC and RHC there is a different code but I want to make sure of this before I send it in.

Any insight would be helpful.

Look at 92937. That's what I'd use for an intervention of vein graft. HTH,

Jessica CPC, CCC

92937 - Percutaneous transluminal revascularization of or through coronary artery bypass graft (internal mammary, free arterial, venous), any combination of intracoronary stent, atherectomy and angioplasty, including distal protection when performed; single vessel

92938 - Percutaneous transluminal revascularization of or through coronary artery bypass graft (internal mammary, free arterial, venous), any combination of intracoronary stent, atherectomy and angioplasty, including distal protection when performed; each additional branch subtended by the bypass graft (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)

92937-RC

A key factor for this code is if access to the lesion required going through the graph, not just a PCI within the graph itself.

For example, the SVG to the RC was engaged and the lesion in the distal Right Coronary artery was treated with a drug-eluting stent. Even though the area of PCI was a "native" vessel, code 92937-RC would be used because access through the SVG was used to get to the lesion.

Hope this helps and clears up some confusion...not adds to it.

Glenn

Last edited:
Pta

Thanks all, I am still a little confused being new to Cardiology I want to make sure I am doing it right.

The PTA was done on a stent in a graft first time I had seen that come through.

92943 is for total occlusion in an artery branch or bypass graft, so I think I should use that with of course the RC mod

That code is for CHRONIC total occlusion. I am not sure if that would apply to this case without reviewing documentation.