Wiki PTCA with stent Doubt in PCS Coding system

Best answers
Hello guys,

I had doubt regarding ptca with stent in pcs coding. If provider deployed one stent in disatal LAD and other in proximal LAD. Then I coded as 2 sites but auditor said both are placed in same artery i.e LAd so we have to code only one site. if any one know the answer please clarify me. Thank you.

I cannot copy the AHA Coding clinic as it is copyrighted but there is a coding clinic about this. You are correct two distinct lesions in the same artery are two sites. Since both lesions were in the LAD distal and proximal these are two sites. Distinct sites are not based on the number of arteries but the number of distinct (separate) lesions being treated.

Review Coding Clinic Second Quarter ICD-10 2015 Page 4

I cannot copy the AHA Coding clinic as it is copyrighted but there is a coding clinic about this. You are correct two distinct lesions in the same artery are two sites. Since both lesions were in the LAD distal and proximal these are two sites. Distinct sites are not based on the number of arteries but the number of distinct (separate) lesions being treated.

Review Coding Clinic Second Quarter ICD-10 2015 Page 4

Thank you daniel and I have one more doubt if physician place two stents continuously one after other to cover large plaque which is formed at single site in the artery how we have to code???

Thank you....

thank u daniel .......can u please suggest how can i find out clinical indicators for disease confitions while coding any specfic sites are available???

ICD-10-PCS definition of "site." As stated in the ICD-10-PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, B3.6b, "Coronary arteries are classified by number of distinct sites treated, rather than number of coronary arteries or anatomic name of a coronary artery (e.g., left anterior descending)." A coronary intervention "site" refers to each distinct lesion treated, unless a single lesion extends into more than one artery.

So as per coding clinic we have consider this as two sites

Regards
Dr.Ramnath Bandaru, CCS, CPC
American Medical Services LLC
http://amshealth.com/
Twitter: @HospitalCoders

Last edited: