Wiki Pulmonary HTN and Essential HTN

chesmith

Contributor
Best answers
Can any one tell me how you would code the following scenario for ICD 9:

Documentation reads the patient has HTN and also Pulmonary HTN, on the same DOS. I have always coded both the 401.9 and the 416.8. Now I am being told that I can not code both of these for the same DOS. I am confused why they both can't be coded since they are two completely different DXs and conditions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this. Also, if you have a coding clinic that I can reference about this it would be helpful.

Thanks

Can any one tell me how you would code the following scenario for ICD 9:

Documentation reads the patient has HTN and also Pulmonary HTN, on the same DOS. I have always coded both the 401.9 and the 416.8. Now I am being told that I can not code both of these for the same DOS. I am confused why they both can't be coded since they are two completely different DXs and conditions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this. Also, if you have a coding clinic that I can reference about this it would be helpful.

Thanks

Given that there are two types of HTN, essential/primary and secondary, I assume the pulmonary HTN is secondary. What is the underlying etiology for the pulmonary HTN?