Wiki Quality Control

ckkohler

Guru
Best answers
I have been in the medical billing/insurance industry for nearly 30 years. It was not until this last year, however, that I became a certified coder. In my current position, I do not code - so, actually have never "officially" coded. Have been keeping my eye out for some remote coding part-time in an effort to gain experience. I was wondering how quality control is maintained. Who checks the work? Is there a percentage of accuracy one must maintain? I'd like to hear from anyone on this topic ... Thank you! :rolleyes:

when you code remotely, you are audited by the company you work for and industry standard is 95-97% accuracy. However, in order to work remotely, most companies want a seasoned coder. You might want to spend a few years straight coding at a company before you try to persue a job from home. I hope this helps.

Even in a non-remote situation .. how is the 95-97% determined? Does a supervisor review your work? Or is it based on the claim being paid? Who determines whether the correct codes were or were not applied?