Wiki Question About Panels

Best answers
In the laboratory section of CPT, if a group of tests overlaps two or more panels, report the panel that incorporates the greatest number of tests to fulfill the code definition. What would a coder do with the remaining test codes that are not part of a panel?

√ *A. Report the remaining tests using individual test codes, according to CPT.
B. Do not report the remaining individual test codes.
C. Report only those test codes that are part of a panel.
D. Do not report a test code more than once regardless whether the test was performed twice.

What would be an example of this exercise question.

Say you did the following 5 tests

Carbon dioxide (bicarbonate) (82374)
Chloride (82435)
Potassium (84132)
Sodium (84295)
Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) (84443)

The first 4 tests make a 80051 (electrolyte panel) and since 84443 is not one of the codes included in the panel you would report on a separate line.

If you did only 3 of the 4 listed in the Electrolyte panel, you would not report the panel code since all of the tests in a panel need to be done to report the panel code

You will probably be tested on this. I know i did a practice test where one option was the panel code and all the other options listed multiple codes. I blindly guessed the panel code and then noticed all but 1 code in the panel was not done so the panel was the wrong answer

Last edited:
OK, so I would then report those 3 tests individually, am I correct?

And when they say overlapping, would that be that one test that is left over?

OK, so I would then report those 3 tests individually, am I correct?

And when they say overlapping, would that be that one test that is left over?

Correct you must have all codes as specified in the CPT manual for the panel or you bill each code separately. I'm not sure what they mean by overlapping but any extra codes not included in the panel you bill therm separetely. Now say you did the electrolyte panel and the potassium was high so they rechecked later in the day after treatment you would report the panel code and the repeat potassium code on another line with the 91 modifier. Please note modifier 91 should not be used if its a repeat due to lab error, reconfirm result as those are not reportable.