Wiki Question about payment offers

knperry

Guru
Best answers
I sometimes receive a payment offer from a company like Multiplan. I wanted to know how you determine whether or not to except the offer. I want to make sure I've been doing this right.

Thanks
Katrell

Hi Katrell,

I typically write Sorry No Discount on the bottom of these and fax back, otherwise, they will continually send them.

The reasons I don't accept them is since the patient is out of network, they 9.9 times out of 10 have not met their out of network deductible and you will not receive payment from the insurance company anyway and will have to try to get paid by the patient.

My thought is that I would much rather have the full amount applied to the patients out of network deductible than the discounted amount and then offer the patient the discount for timely payment. Patients often time will be upset that they weren't referred to a PAR provider and this gives you some bargaining power with the patient during these sometimes difficult conversations. If this is a recurring patient, their deductible will be met quicker by the full amount being applied vs the discount.

I've had these come back after accepting the discount that the patients insurance was termed or not entered correctly by the front desk. I also had one this week that the insurance company processed incorrectly as the physician was indeed in network with their insurance.

Hope this helps :)

Tammie Womack, MBS, CPC
Manager Central Processing Office
IU Health Goshen Physicians