Wiki Question about signatures on path reports

coder25

Guru
Best answers
Hello all,

Is it written anywhere as to whether or not a physician assistant can sign a pathology report? Does the surgeon also need to sign this or can it just be the PA?

My doc and PA are asking for written info concerning this information that I could given to them.

Thanks.

I thought the Pathologist had to sign the final report. It's his report.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question

Signature on Path Report

Hi,

Yes, it is the pathologist who typically signs the report. Sometimes the surgeon or PA will initial the report before it is placed in the office medical record.

For anything to do with pathology or reports, you can probably find the answers on the CAP/College of American Pathologists website.

Hope this is helpful,
pat

Sorry,

I guess my question was confusing. What I meant to ask is when the surgeon performs a lap chole and the path report comes back for a signature, is it acceptable for the PA to only sign the path report or does the surgeon need to sign off on it. Is there anywhere where this rule would be written, so that I may give it to my surgeon.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your help.

Peggy

The Surgeon did the surgery, as part of post-op f/up he should review the path results. To show he reviewed, he can initial and date the path report. The PA can also initial and date just to show her review. But the important point is that the surgeon review it.

On a f/up visit they would get 1 point for data for their E&M for any visits that are not inclusive to the surgery global period

I don't know if or where this would be stated in writing. Reviewing reports whether Lab or Rad is part of expected post-op care.