Wiki question about when to use injury codes

SheryM

Best answers
We are pain clinic and treat only chronic pain. Some of our patients have injuries that caused their pain (example fell off a roof in 2002) now suffers from Back pain, healed fracture.

When do we stop using the injury codes?
Do I used personal history of healed fracture? as well as the injury code, sequela? the guidelines are unclear to me-

If the provider indicates that the current problem was due to the injury then you use the injury code with the 7th character S as your secondary code.

You will not use the healed fx code. That code would be used only for a visit that was to verify the healed status. Use the current problem first listed followed by the fx code with the 7th character S

You will not use the healed fx code. That code would be used only for a visit that was to verify the healed status. Use the current problem first listed followed by the fx code with the 7th character S

I agree. It doesn't matter if it's healed or not, it only matters that the relationship between the pain and the injury exists. As long as the pain continues to be attributed to the FX, every visit will use 7th character S.