Wiki Question on food poisoning

ttazreen

Best answers
what would be the correct code for food poisoning - A05.9? or T62.91XA? and why?
There is no other specification on food poisoning. The patient went to doctor for nausea, abdominal cramping and bloody diarrhea with mucus.
Please help.

If you're following the ICD-10 guidelines and going to the alphabetic index first, 'food poisoning' is coded as 'T62.9-' ('poisoning' -> 'food NEC'), so T62.91XA would be correct if there is no further specificity documented. Per the section notes under T51-65 stating "Use additional code(s): for all associated manifestations of toxic effect", I would also code the symptoms you've listed.

To get to A05.9 you need the additional documentation that the poisoning is bacterial. If you don't have that documented, the A05.9 code would not be supported.

Last edited:
thank you for your reply. I am looking at ICD-10 2020 and here if I go by the alphabetic index like you said, ('poisoning -> 'food NEC') - the code it shows is 'A05.9', not 'T62.9-'. That's why I got confused!

Last edited:
thank you for your reply. I am looking at ICD-10 2020 and here if I go by the alphabetic index like you said, ('poisoning -> 'food NEC') - the code it shows is 'A05.9', not 'T62.9-'. That's why I got confused!
I apologize, you are correct. I think I may have been looking at a 2019 edition when I replied. It appears it was changed to A05.9, so that is now the correct code for unspecified food poisoning if you're coding for dates of service after 2019.