Wiki Question on fracture care codes

Determined1

Contributor
Best answers
I just started a new job with a family practice and the physicians want to code for "fracture care". It is my understanding there is NO generic "fracture care" code physicians can bill for. If they only give the patient a walking boot and take an X-ray they can only bill for the walking boot and X-ray.....Correct???
Geesh I have only been here 2 1/2 weeks.....I feel really bad telling physicians they cannot bill for something. :(
Thanks in advance!!

I just started a new job with a family practice and the physicians want to code for "fracture care". It is my understanding there is NO generic "fracture care" code physicians can bill for. If they only give the patient a walking boot and take an X-ray they can only bill for the walking boot and X-ray.....Correct???
Geesh I have only been here 2 1/2 weeks.....I feel really bad telling physicians they cannot bill for something. :(
Thanks in advance!!

If the patient is being seen with a complaint of say "ankle pain" and the provider makes the diagnosis of a fracture, then you should bill an E/M also IF the documentation supports it. However, if the encounter is for after-care following the initial treatment of the fracture (as in, the fracture has already been diagnosed prior to the visit), then you need to look into global periods, appropriate 7th characters, and so forth to determine what would be billable.