Question re: diastolic dysfunction

TBILIER

New
Best answers
I have several providers that will document diastolic dysfunction but will code CHF. When queried they will say and argue that they are the same thing.
I saw in 2002 AAPC had an article that they are assumed to be together. Does anyone know where I might find anything on the correct documentation and coding for these conditions. I do not have access to the coding clinic. Thank you in advance for your help. Theresa Bilier CPC

thomas7331

True Blue
Best answers
This is from the first quarter 2009 Coding Clinic, but aside from the reference to ICD-9 code, the information is still current. In ICD-10, 'diastolic dysfunction' without further specification is coded as I51.9 - Heart disease, unspecified. Someone in your organization probably needs to educate the providers - these terms may mean the same things to them, but they don't classify to the same codes if they don't document it that way.

Question:
Is a diagnosis of systolic or diastolic dysfunction coded the same as heart failure?

Answer:
No, diastolic dysfunction without mention of heart failure is indexed to 429.9, Heart disease, unspecified. It is not appropriate to assume a patient is in heart failure when only "diastolic dysfunction" or "systolic dysfunction" is documented.

TBILIER

New
Best answers
Thank you for your help Thomas. I do not have access to the coding clinic but I will try to see if I can get a copy somewhere. Thank you Again.