Wiki Question regarding Debridement coding and NCCI Edits

riddlej

New
Best answers
Hello, I am a coder at a small billing company and one of our clients specializes in debridement procedures.

According to a recent update in NCCI Edits, the codes 97597 and 97598 can't be coded together. We think this is the result of a very recent change in CPT and there is a different code in place of the add-on, 97598, that is acceptable according to NCCI Edits. Please, does anyone know what are the acceptable code(s) to be used in place of 97597 and its add-on, 97598?

Thank you!

John

Do you have any sources? I found a link about a NCCI error in several years ago on this code combo that was fixed and my current NCCI software is not showing any edits for this code combo.

It was a glitch before. It's likely a repeat.

"CCI 17.0 has incorrectly bundled 97597 into 97598 so Medicare will pay only the add-on code 97598. No modifier is allowed to override the mutually exclusive edit. CCI 17.1, effective April 1, 2011, will correct the edit. The American Podiatric Medical Association recommends providers hold claims until that time to avoid incorrect processing."

http://codingnews.inhealthcare.com/...97-97598-cci-will-correct-debridement-glitch/

Last edited: