Wiki Question regarding treatment of schizophrenia pt.

dhann1639

Networker
Best answers
I have a question regarding a schizophrenia pt. Below is a portion of the report.

" This pt. has been diagnosed with schizophrenia three years ago. Pt. came in for an electroshock therapy with an EKG. Pt. appeared to tolerate the treatment well. Two hours after received the therapy, the patient had a seizure. The nurse kept the pt. safe until it passed. An EEG was performed to assure that there was no permanent damage. Anti-seizure medication was administered and pt. was sent home."

My question is would I code the seizure that the pt. had after receiving the therapy?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Deidre Johnson, CPC-A

I have a question regarding a schizophrenia pt. Below is a portion of the report.

" This pt. has been diagnosed with schizophrenia three years ago. Pt. came in for an electroshock therapy with an EKG. Pt. appeared to tolerate the treatment well. Two hours after received the therapy, the patient had a seizure. The nurse kept the pt. safe until it passed. An EEG was performed to assure that there was no permanent damage. Anti-seizure medication was administered and pt. was sent home."

My question is would I code the seizure that the pt. had after receiving the therapy?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Deidre Johnson, CPC-A

Yes, you should definitely code it, but you need to first find out if the patient has a history of epilepsy, or if it was an adverse reaction to the therapy.