Wiki Question with patient refunds, please help

mnelson2013

Best answers
Does anyone know what to do with patient refunds when they are over 3 years old. I am currently auditing accounts and have found several patient credits from 2008 and patient's are no longer seeing the doctors. The amounts are $25.00 and under. Does anyone know what I need to do with these?

any input would be helpful. Thank you.

We issue refunds on old accounts. The obvious problem is when patients like that move and leave no forwarding address. That's one of my side jobs. I get to deal with our returned mail. No fun at all when you can't get a hold of a patient.

Refunds

The money still belongs to the patients. Of course, you need to discuss it with the doctor you work for (or facility) - - if the decision is yours - pay the patient - just be sure there was not a write-off on the account that created an overpayment.

Does anyone know what to do with patient refunds when they are over 3 years old. I am currently auditing accounts and have found several patient credits from 2008 and patient's are no longer seeing the doctors. The amounts are $25.00 and under. Does anyone know what I need to do with these?

any input would be helpful. Thank you.

Refund

If patient is due refund , I would either try to contact patient by phone or mailing a letter to patient to verify if patients mailing address is correct and also letting patients know a refund is due to them

if a practice knows that a patient is due a refund, it is state law that the patient is to be refunded that money. Your records must show attempts are/were made to refund the patient. If you cannot reach the patient, show in their account any info supporting the fact that you tried refunding the patient so that your tail is covered. I had to research this same issue with a previous employer who ended up never refunding overpayments to his patients which totaled over $12,000.

Unclaimed Property

Most states have an escheatment process for refunds due to patients whom you are unable to locate. I would check into your state requirements.

A good starting point would be http://www.unclaimed.org.

I've been on a project like that in the past and it can be quite the undertaking.

Good luck!