Wiki Questions about inguinal/femoral hernia repair and mesh implantation

codeseeker

Best answers
1) How would you code bilateral laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair? We tried using 49650 with modifier 50 but it was rejected as an improper modifier. Would you code it as 49650-RT and -LT?

2) During laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair, a femoral hernia was found and repaired laparoscopically. Since there is no code for laparoscopic femoral hernia, would you use simply code the inguinal hernia repair with a modifier 22? Does the doctor need to document extra time (for modifier 22) or is it sufficient to record that he found a femoral hernia and repaired it separately from the inguinal hernia?

3) When mesh is implanted during laparoscopic hernia repair, it is included in the repair and not separately reportable. How do you recover the cost of the mesh material? We have tried C1781 for the mesh implant, but it is never reimbursed.

4) When is it appropriate to bill for 0437T (Implantation of non-biologic or synthetic implant for fascial reinforcement of the abdominal wall)? Is it ever used for mesh implantation?

Thank you very much

1) certain insurance companies want the LT/RT instead of 50
2) this is tricky to me if it was an incidental finding with scope on the way to the inguinal I wouldn't code it/if documentation of extra time then I would use the 22
or at least try. Some insurance companies won't reimburse for a 22 just depends on the policy.
Sorry can't help with the others