Wiki Questions on VF and OCT visit

jenna_m

New
Best answers
Recently, a patient was scheduled for a VF and OCT with a tech. Pt presented and completed testing. However, her IOP was elevated and patient had additional complaints, so the tech "called and texted as we (the dr and tech) reviewed pt complaints and iop and decided on prescription drug management."

The doctor said, "it was a telehealth visit essentially, but pt was physically in the office for place of service." The doctor is thinking of billing 92083, 92133 and 99214 with modifier 95. However, I tried looking for resources and from what I understand if there is no "video consult" component then you would have to use Telehealth CPT codes 99441 (5-10 minutes), 99442 (11-20 minutes), and 99443 (20-30 minutes).

Could you advise me on how I should go about billing this visit?

Thank you in advance!

As I understand it, the doctor and tech spoke about the patient but the doctor didn't speak with the patient. This does not qualify as a telehealth visit of any type, even though the patient was in the office while this discussion took place. It definitely isn't a 99214. Your description really doesn't allow for billing more than the VF and OCT codes. The doctor made the decision regarding the medication based upon the information the tech provided them during the call.

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC

As I understand it, the doctor and tech spoke about the patient but the doctor didn't speak with the patient. This does not qualify as a telehealth visit of any type, even though the patient was in the office while this discussion took place. It definitely isn't a 99214. Your description really doesn't allow for billing more than the VF and OCT codes. The doctor made the decision regarding the medication based upon the information the tech provided them during the call.

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC
Thank you so much, Dr.Cheezum!