Wiki Radiaiton Oncology Block Verification Sims

serena32

New
Best answers
Hello, I have a question....
If you are doing a block verification on two separate sites, filming ports of both sites, could you bill an intermediate simulation (77285) or would you still have to bill it as a sim simple (77280); and what is your resource?

Thank you in advance.

For a verification simulation (block check simulation) regardless of the number of treatment areas the code is 77280. This is per standards of practice, ASTRO coding guide, ACRO Practice Management Guide and several payor LCDs.

Thank you!
Per what payor LCD's? I can not find one on Medicare's website... I am sorry I am just in the middle of this debate and we really can not find any resources on this. Astro is not always right and Astro does not list examples of multiple sites from what we found.

None of the policies will indicate about the number of sites, they all state a block check verification is simple, 77280. The procedure itself is simple. Examples are, WPS Radiation Oncology Including Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) (L30316), Noridian Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) (L24318), Noridian Radiation Oncology: External Beam /Teletherapy (L24354). These are just a few, but list the block check verification is billed as 77280.

Field Verification Simulation using picture

Can you charge a Field Verification Simulation (77280) when the clinician only takes a picture, not an actual image?

We just started doing to dupuytrens and the clinician doesn't want to do an actual simulation. They use a picture for setup.

Any information would be VERY helpful..

thanks
dianna