Wiki Radiation Oncology-Correct provider

peanutbutterkisses

Contributor
Best answers
Good morning,

I have a question for all Radiation Oncology Coders. Who is the proper provider for services rendered. Currently we code everything with the Oncologist as the provider, amd I am not sure that is correct. We are a facility.

I know certain codes are technical only and some are combination codes.

For example:

Radiation treatment- 77418 - technical only should the technition be the provider, or the oncologist?

Isodose plans- 77315 (technical and professional) -

IGRT- 77421- (technical and professional)

Any assistance or direction is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hello,
All technical services in a hospital are reported on the claim form under the attending physician. For services which are global or have a professional component, the hospital will still report under the attending physician, but all professional services are billed under the physician present on that date providing supervision and professional work on the CMS 1500.

The physician present on site and who supervised and approved the treatment plan (77315) is the physician the professional component is reported under. The hospital will report the attending, so these may not be the same if the attending physician was not present on-site.

For IGRT the technical is billed under the attending in the hospital and the professional will be billed under the physician who supervised and approved the images at time of treatment.