Wiki Radiation Oncology Question

rachelb117

Contributor
Best answers
If a patient is having one treatment area treated with radiotherapy but wedges are used, does the complexity level of radiotherapy delvery automatically become COMPLEX even though it does not meet the CPT criteria of three or more treatment areas?

Ex: Patient is getting radiotherapy on larynx (right lateral/left lateral), and MLC and 30 degree wedges are being used. Which delivery CPT code should be billed when using 6 MV?

Yes, the wedges and mlc make it a complex delivery. Even though CPT doesn't specify it very well, the description really is that you need at least one of the listed requirements to qualify. You do not need to have all of them. For 6 MV you would use 77413.
Hope this helps,
Alanna S

Thank you so much Alanna! I appreciate your response. I was wondering if it would be OK to ask for your number so that I could network with you in the future regarding any questions? The company I work for has just taken on Radiation Oncology, so we are still learning!

If that would be OK, you can email me your contact information at: rachelb@leadingcancercare.com

Again, thank you so much!

Rachel