Wiki radiology cpt help

Best answers
I am having a hard time finding a cpt code for a diagnostic ultrasound. The tech did a soft tissue ultrasound on a patient's back right side. i have looked at each decription and am having no luck in finding the appropiate code for this procedure. Any suggestion??
Thanks.

response to radiology cpt help

ultrasound...back....try 76800

I am having a hard time finding a cpt code for a diagnostic ultrasound. The tech did a soft tissue ultrasound on a patient's back right side. i have looked at each decription and am having no luck in finding the appropiate code for this procedure. Any suggestion??
Thanks.

I did see that cpt code but my only concern w/ this code is that it indicates spinal canal. The ultrasound we performed was soft tissue of the back? This is why i am having such difficulty. So what do you think?

Typically, a specific body organ, area, or sytem is being looked at. What was the order for the ultrasound? Also, what does the report indicate was looked at and found?

Cpt code for ultrasound soft tissue back????

Good Afternoon,

Did you ever decide on a cpt code for this ultrasound soft tissue back? I am having the same situation and I agree with you that 76800 states ultrasound spinal contents and that is not what was done

Did you use an unlisted code or something else. Please help[ if you have any info. I was told that the CSI Navigator said to use 76705 us abdomen single organ limited but isn't that only for the abdomen or liver or gallbladder?

I would appreciate any info you could share.

Claudia K, CPC
Networker

Upper back 76604 & lower back 76705

Code 76705 (Ultrasound, abdominal, real time with image documentation; limited [e.g., single organ, quadrant, follow-up]) is appropriate for this lower back ultrasound.

You might be surprised to discover these other not-so-obvious anatomy/code pairings that CPT Assistant supports:

• chest wall, upper back: 76604 (Ultrasound chest [includes mediastinum], real time with image documentation)

• pelvic wall, buttock, perineum: 76857 (Ultrasound, pelvic [nonobstetric], real time with image documentation; limited or follow-up [e.g., for follicles])

• upper extremity, axilla, groin, lower extremity: 76881/76882 (Ultrasound, extremity, nonvascular, real time with image documentation).

http://codingnews.inhealthcare.com/coding-challenge/radiology-coding-education-is-76705-ok-for-back/

hope this helps for future readers!

Last edited:
Although the code descriptor states “abdominal” and not “back,” CPT Assistant (May 2009) clarifies that 76705 is appropriate for a lower back or abdominal wall soft tissue mass ultrasound. Hope that helps!

At our radiology practice for an us of the back we use 76880 or now its 76882. And 76800 we see were this code is usually only reimbursed for patients 5 and under.