Wiki Radiology dx coding

phycoder

Networker
Best answers
I have a patient where the diagnosis is indicated as "marked gaseous distension of the stomach" on an abdominal xray. We have a disagreement on coding this in our office. Can anyone help solve the quandry? :confused:

I have a patient where the diagnosis is indicated as "marked gaseous distension of the stomach" on an abdominal xray. We have a disagreement on coding this in our office. Can anyone help solve the quandry? :confused:

'marked gaseous distension of the stomach' is not the confirmed diagnosis. So check the reason for encounter, usually it will be of symptoms like abdominal pain. If even the reason for encounter is not clear or defined then go with other disorder of stomach (537.9)

Without a definitive diagnosis I'd go with the sign and symptom codes. 787.3 (abdominal distention; gaseous)