Wiki Rapid Test charge for self pay patients

Metroderm

Networker
Best answers
We have enough Rapid test kits in the office and Doctor wants to offer the test to the patients with charge. I would like to know how much other office charges to self pay patients for the Rapid test. Those are already available in the pharmacies and some free svc from the urgent care, but if we need to do in the office, we have to charge. Any opinions on this? Our practice manager wants to charge $40, but I think it's too high. I would like to know how other office charge those service.

I can't speak to what other practices charge for this but will offer my thoughts. This is really a business decision that only your manager and/or practice owners can make. What the office charges will depend how much they will need to get to recover their costs for the service, and whether they intend to make profit from it or simply offer the service at cost as a courtesy to the patients. You'll also need to consider the costs and availability of the test in your local area and ask whether you want to compete with these other providers to draw these patients to your practice, or if you simply want to make it available to your own existing patients as a convenience. In short, the cost charged should be a part of the overall strategy and goals that the practice has in mind.

Since practice costs vary widely from location to location and specialty to specialty, and since the patient population being served is different for every organization, there's no right or wrong amount to charge - it just a matter of what the practice wants to accomplish.