Wiki Really need a hand with this question...

staps7981

Best answers
A patient sees his physician for symptoms of viral influenza. After completing his examination, the patient's physician is convinced the patient is, indeed, suffering from the flu, but he seems to be getting better. The patient demands a prescription for antibiotics.

Is it ethical for a physician or any other health care practitioner to prescribe or administer a medical treatment just to pacify an anxious or demanding patient?

I believe it is medically unnecessary for a Dr. to prescribe anything for the patient. Is there something else we can give to the patient to "make them happy" without being unethical? Any feedback on this would be really appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

I do not believe it is in our capacity to question or judge a providers treatment plan nor diagnosis. He has specific reasons and rationale for what they do and they will ultimately answer to the AMA or other governing board if their MDM is questionable. I have observed many times an antibiotic ordered for a preliminary dx of "flu". I am certain if the provider actually thought he was needing to "pacify " a patient he would not do it with an unnecessary drug. The provider is using sound medical judgement and we are sometimes not privy to that rationale.

I agree with Debra. We all know that physicians don't always document everything that happens in the exam room or their reasoning for everything. The patient may have been having some sort of secondary illness or something that required an antibiotic to prevent the condition from worsening on top of the influenza.

there are many times this happens... and like previously said we can't decide what's ethical and what's not....if they can dx based on symptoms alone, we can't argue with them (ie, pneumonia....they don't always need a chest x-ray to decide if it's pneumonia, or lyme disease is common in our area, but they don't always use a lab to dx it, they dx based off the clinical symptoms)