Wiki Rebilling Higher Paying Revenue Codes

Best answers
Hello Billing World - We have seen higher reimbursements for specific payers using different revenue codes, that are more applicable to our practice. We are considering rebilling previously processed claims, but we are apprehensive. We do not want to get flagged for upcoding, but we are unclear if rebilling with different revenue code is considered upcoding?

Any thoughts fellow billers?

Hello Billing World - We have seen higher reimbursements for specific payers using different revenue codes, that are more applicable to our practice. We are considering rebilling previously processed claims, but we are apprehensive. We do not want to get flagged for upcoding, but we are unclear if rebilling with different revenue code is considered upcoding?

Any thoughts fellow billers?

Personally I'd just leave it alone. The very first thing that popped into my mind when I read your post was "this will only end up badly."

When you consider the amount of work that would be involved in correcting the claims, the recoups and/or adjustments from the payers (and the denials), payers questioning your motives, possible audits... I don't know that it would be worth it.

If any of the claims truly do need to be corrected, then you need to take care of them. But as for the rest.... go with your gut on this one.