Receipt of EOPs in error

lexifilly

New
Best answers
We have electronically received numerous EOP's intended for a provider in another state that we have NO affiliation with. None of the patients are any we have ever seen. Some were viewed before the error was found. Is this a HIPPA violation? Need I do anything specific in notifying the insurance company of the error?

I know this response may not answer your HIPPA concern.

Are these being uploaded through your software vendor? Our group receives EOBs a few different ways. We enrolled with various available payers that our practice management software allows. Those payer's EOBs will upload through our billing software for us to be able to post electronically & we get the payment via EFT. Other payers we have to go to their website to pull EOBs but still get the payment via EFT. Then others come through just regular mail.

If they are being uploaded through your billing software, you will want to communicate this issue with the software support department to let them know.

If they are showing up in your provider portal online with the payer, you will want to communicate this issue with the website support department.

If they are coming through the mail, you could call the # on the EOB & let them know.

Thanks

This was helpful. They are in the practices account in the provider portal. I will contact them regarding their website.