Wiki Recurrent UTI

Best answers
I am wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on Urology. I have a patient that has recurrent uti.
The dx given are N30.21 other chronic cystitis with hematuria, R35.0 frequency of micturition, R32 unspecified urinary incontinence, R39.15 urgency of urination.
The notes go on to say she does have a full round of Cipro and nitrofurantoin at home for self treat and if she has another UTI she will take the Cipro and if things fail then she will take the Nitrofurantoin.

I am unsure if the N30.21 should be used in this case or the Z87.440? And should the antibiotic therapy be coded?

A UTI without further specificity is coded as N39.0, not N30.21. I would not code Z87.440 just based on the term 'recurrent' unless the provider has also documented a history of UTIs in the past. Without being able to see the record itself though, it's hard to say if any of these codes are correct or not. Per the ICD-10 guidelines, the three symptom codes would not normally be reported in addition to the UTI diagnosis since they are symptoms that are routinely associated with that condition, but again, without knowing what was documented, it's not possible to say much about this.

A UTI without further specificity is coded as N39.0, not N30.21. I would not code Z87.440 just based on the term 'recurrent' unless the provider has also documented a history of UTIs in the past. Without being able to see the record itself though, it's hard to say if any of these codes are correct or not. Per the ICD-10 guidelines, the three symptom codes would not normally be reported in addition to the UTI diagnosis since they are symptoms that are routinely associated with that condition, but again, without knowing what was documented, it's not possible to say much about this.
Thank you this is helpful. He does have documented that she has had history of recurrent UTIs. So would the code need to be the Z87.440 then and in this case would you code the symptoms.

I would code N39.0 if this person is currently having a UTI. If you happen to know the organism from a urine c&s, you can add that. I wouldn't code symptoms.