Wiki Reduced services??

Chill74

Contributor
Best answers
My doctor recently did surgery on a patient who he had done a revision total hip arthrolasty in February 2022. She had developed an infection and he ended up having to clean it out and do a poly swap. Would the code for this be 27130 with modifier 52 for reduced services?

Last edited:
No, if it is an arthrotomy with poly liner exchange for infection it's 27310. This is the last information I knew of for poly exchange.
If they have a TKA or revision TKA in place 27447 would never be correct either way since there is no native knee joint.

No, if it is an arthrotomy with poly liner exchange for infection it's 27310. This is the last information I knew of for poly exchange.
If they have a TKA or revision TKA in place 27447 would never be correct either way since there is no native knee joint.
the op report says Left knee irrigation and debridement with synovectomy and poly swap... I am unclear what you mean by no native knee joint?

I realized I read that so fast I thought it said knee, or did you start out asking knee and now changed it to hip! LoL. It says hip now, my error, sorry!
For a poly swap of the hip for infection it's 27030. If they were to stage it and take out the prosthesis and put in an antiobiotic spacer for the hip it's 27091.

It's 27310 for the knee poly swap.

Native means their own joint they were born with. You wouldn't use the primary arthroplasty codes (27447, 27130, etc.) for a joint that already had a replacement or revision of a primary replacement because it's no longer primary arthroplasty (of the native joint) at that point.

I realized I read that so fast I thought it said knee, or did you start out asking knee and now changed it to hip! LoL. It says hip now, my error, sorry!
For a poly swap of the hip for infection it's 27030. If they were to stage it and take out the prosthesis and put in an antiobiotic spacer for the hip it's 27091.

It's 27310 for the knee poly swap.

Native means their own joint they were born with. You wouldn't use the primary arthroplasty codes (27447, 27130, etc.) for a joint that already had a replacement or revision of a primary replacement because it's no longer primary arthroplasty (of the native joint) at that point.
LOL, so it did origianlly say knee, i honestly thought I had put the wrong joint, so I edited to hip and then realized it was the knee after all. I am sorry for the confusion, I double checked myself and read the op note again to confirm- Left knee irrigation and debridement with synovectomy and poly swap.