Wiki Reduction at bedside

rconpatton

Contributor
Best answers
preop dx: Gunshot wound to the distal humerus with comminuted fracture.
postop dx: same

Name of Procedure: Reduction and application of posterior splint to right distal humeral fracture.

Description of procedure:
At this time, the patient had already received pain medication earlier for injury and at this time, gentle traction was placed on the arm as a posterior splint was placed posterior to the forearm and up to just past the mid-shaft of the humerus. A standard plaster splint was used after appropriate padding and this was held in place and at the end of the procedure radial pulse was palpated and it was 2+ and he had normal sensation in the hand. There were no immediate complications and blood loss.

Okay, I get confused on reduction at bedside. I came up with cpt code 24545 and I'm so not sure. thank in advance

See this is where I'm confused, would a gun shot wound technically be considered open? Patient did fx humeral supracondylar ( I must have skipped over that). Any explaining is well appreciated. thx

See this is where I'm confused, would a gun shot wound technically be considered open? Patient did fx humeral supracondylar ( I must have skipped over that). Any explaining is well appreciated. thx

There should be some information about it in the CPT Book or ICD book (maybe both?) . You can perform a closed treatment of an open fracture. You can also perform open treatment on a closed fracture. Treatment type and type of fracture are not equivalent.

For example in CPT,

Closed treatment[FONT=&quot] specifically means that the fracture site is not surgically opened (exposed to the external environment and directly visualized). This terminology is used to describe procedures that treat fractures by three methods: (1) without manipulation; (2) with manipulation; or (3) with or without traction.

[/FONT]
Open treatment[FONT=&quot] is used when the fractured bone is either: (1) surgically opened (exposed to the external environment) and the fracture (bone ends) visualized and internal fixation may be used; or (2) the fractured bone is opened remote from the fracture site in order to insert an intramedullary nail across the fracture site (the fracture site is not opened and visualized).

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The type of fracture (eg, open, compound, closed) does not have any coding correlation with the type of treatment (eg, closed, open, or percutaneous) provided.[/FONT]

Last edited: