Wiki reduction

alices

Guru
Best answers
My ER Doctor says he attempted to reduce a dislocation of the jaw and even with putting his full weight he could not even move the jaw can i still code the dislocation and put a 52 mod?..thanks, alice

I do code the "attempt" to reduce the dislocation w/o 52.
Looking at your CPT coding book go to page 88 of Surgery/Musculoskeletal System section, in the second column find the heading "Manipulation": Manipulation is used throughout the musculoskeletal fracture and dislocation subsections to specifically mean the attempted reduction or restoration of a fracture of joint dislocation to its normal anatomic alignment by the application of manually applied forces.
Where i work we do not use modifier 52 for the "attempt" to reduce a dislocation, our auditors have decided we are correct to code this procedure. i would use 21480 w/modifier 25 on the EM if applicable. hope this helps.

Cpt 21480

I thought that if you start a procedure and have to discontinue it you code the cpt in this case is 21480 and you add the modifier 52. :confused: So would that be a different code?

Last edited: