Wiki Rehab Inpatient Coding & Billing Questions

TThivierge

True Blue
Best answers
Hello
I have some questions regarding billing & coding rehab inpatient service. If you can respond back to me I d really be thankful.

#1 Can a patient have more than one impairment code on the IRF-PAI form related to their POA and illness arriving with? There are 16 impairment codes and not to use the code #13 Developmental Disabled.
#2 Which impairment code can you use for infections or should you use the impairment code for the body system affected?
#3 Does the case manager or admission rep or coder select impairment code after reading the physician's documentation?
#4.Does the medical coder use only the HPI , consult record from other doctor on staff, and discharge summary to ensure the dx selected & impairment codes are correct and match?
#5. What is the major denials for inpt rehab?

Thank you in advance

Lady T

Hello
I have some questions regarding billing & coding rehab inpatient service. If you can respond back to me I d really be thankful.

#1 Can a patient have more than one impairment code on the IRF-PAI form related to their POA and illness arriving with? There are 16 impairment codes and not to use the code #13 Developmental Disabled.
#2 Which impairment code can you use for infections or should you use the impairment code for the body system affected?
#3 Does the case manager or admission rep or coder select impairment code after reading the physician's documentation?
#4.Does the medical coder use only the HPI , consult record from other doctor on staff, and discharge summary to ensure the dx selected & impairment codes are correct and match?
#5. What is the major denials for inpt rehab?

Thank you in advance

Lady T
Hi
I went to research more info on IP rehab coding. So I can answer my own questions. #1 Yes a patient can have more than one impairment code,but usually it is just one related to the reason why arrived for admission. #2 RIC 03 is usually impairment code for infections #3 Usually the medical coder will enter the impairment code once the physician assigns the preadmit dx. and from reading the other documentation during their stay or progress notes #4. The coder uses the consult discharge summary, daily progress notes, discharge summary to ensure all dx codes are correct to prove medical necessity of the IP rehab stay. #5 All unique rehab documents need to be signed by doctor and therapists, while certain medical documents for IP Rehab must be in the medical chart and the coder selects the most detailed HCC diagnosis matching notations.
It is good I like to research;) and hope this information helps another medical coder out there!
Lady T