Wiki remote coding productivity

missy874

Guru
Best answers
Our office is looking at allowing our coders to go remote. One of the issues prior to implementation is how we will assess productivity. We are provider based.

Does anyone have any insight or resources on benchmarks for coding productivity? Our specialties are: hospitalists, OBGYN (surgical), Pain, Trauma (surgical), Family Medicine (clinical), Sleep, and Psych (inpt).

Any input is greatly appreciated. Please respond here or you may email me at melissa.tescher@salemhealth.org

Thank you!!

Productivity

I work remotely for Humana as a medical coder. All coders, whether in the office or at home fill out a production tracker. It is a standad template that we all have a link to access. There is a space for the date, amount of total pages reviewed, and there is also a break-down of type of records reviewed. For your practice, you could assign different values for the degree of difficulty (Op report vs standard OV, etc.). We have additional spaces for QA audits, number of claims processed, and an area for noting any unusual circumstances that might affect production. There is a "save" button after all fields are completed, and the report is sent to the front-line leader that monitors production. Remoting in my opinion, is a wonderful option! I hope it works out for you.