Wiki Remote medical coding from a laptop?

ashae17

Best answers
Hi, I'm looking to work from home as a medical coder (I already have 3+ years experience as a CPC so I have faith I will find something). I don't currently have a computer and am going to purchase one very soon. I would prefer to just get a laptop (it's just easier) but am worried some jobs might actually require a desktop/dual monitors. I'm also aware that some companies will provide the equipment, however I would still rather have something in place ahead of time in case I'm having trouble finding a position that provides everything. Are there coders out there that work from a laptop, or is it always required to have a desktop? Also, any advice as to what the best options would be (computer brand, hard drive, etc) is appreciated.

The majority of companies will provide you with a laptop. Those that don't will often be satisfied with the use of your personal laptop and monitor(s) providing it meets the requirements for speed, storage, security and so on.

I did interview with a company that do not provide computer equipment and they would not accept a personal laptop; it had to be a desktop, the theory being that you cannot take a desktop to a public place and a laptop may be compromised in a public place. Needless to say I didn't pursue the position having just bought a new personal laptop.

The majority of companies will provide you with a laptop. Those that don't will often be satisfied with the use of your personal laptop and monitor(s) providing it meets the requirements for speed, storage, security and so on.

I did interview with a company that do not provide computer equipment and they would not accept a personal laptop; it had to be a desktop, the theory being that you cannot take a desktop to a public place and a laptop may be compromised in a public place. Needless to say I didn't pursue the position having just bought a new personal laptop.
Couldn't that have been a potential HIPAA violation, though, if any other person happened to pass behind you and looked at your screen as you were looking at someone's Op Note or were working on a claim or something? I can understand it not being one if you stay at home with pretty much a guarantee that nobody else not authorized to view it would be allowed to do that. But, going to a public place like a coffee shop or other hangout just doesn't seem like it would be allowed to me.

Couldn't that have been a potential HIPAA violation, though, if any other person happened to pass behind you and looked at your screen as you were looking at someone's Op Note or were working on a claim or something? I can understand it not being one if you stay at home with pretty much a guarantee that nobody else not authorized to view it would be allowed to do that. But, going to a public place like a coffee shop or other hangout just doesn't seem like it would be allowed to me.

Yes, but the employer didn't need to ban working from laptops to keep employees from working out of coffee shops. There are other ways to achieve that end goal without requiring an employee to own a personal desktop.

That's the unreasonable part. They could provide the employee with a desktop. They could say that employees are allowed to use personal laptops, but working in a public space like a coffee house isn't permitted.

I would pass on working for an employer that required me to provide my own desktop computer. I feel like they'd end up having other unreasonable demands eventually too.

Many other potential employers would either provide the desktop computer or let me work from my personal laptop. I wouldn't waste my time with one who didn't.

Yes, but the employer didn't need to ban working from laptops to keep employees from working out of coffee shops. There are other ways to achieve that end goal without requiring an employee to own a personal desktop.

That's the unreasonable part. They could provide the employee with a desktop. They could say that employees are allowed to use personal laptops, but working in a public space like a coffee house isn't permitted.

I would pass on working for an employer that required me to provide my own desktop computer. I feel like they'd end up having other unreasonable demands eventually too.

Many other potential employers would either provide the desktop computer or let me work from my personal laptop. I wouldn't waste my time with one who didn't.
Then, that sounds to me like they don't trust their employees to not do that, so I think you made the right choice by not following up on that one.