Wiki Removal of exposed Ahmed Valve

codedog

True Blue
Best answers
Patient had a removal of exposed Valve in the left supratemporal quadrant . I look could not find a code. Iwork at an ASC and doc office booked it as a revision of wound ? not sure this is correct !!!!
Any suggestions ?

Patient had a removal of exposed Valve in the left supratemporal quadrant . I look could not find a code. Iwork at an ASC and doc office booked it as a revision of wound ? not sure this is correct !!!!
Any suggestions ?

Did you look at 65920? "Removal of implanted material, anterior segment of eye".

I had the same situation, I was told to use 67120 . IN the special Ophtalmologly Coding COMPANION book it stated under cpt code 66180- placing the shunt, that if you need to removed it cpt code 67120 would be the code. I work at an ASC, and t my only code book is the cpt book, but a friend gave me a special opthalmology book that is more detail. I wish had evey speciality code books for OUR ASC, but they are expensive , but it would help. again i would go with 67120-trent

I had the same situation, I was told to use 67120 . IN the special Ophtalmologly Coding COMPANION book it stated under cpt code 66180- placing the shunt, that if you need to removed it cpt code 67120 would be the code. I work at an ASC, and t my only code book is the cpt book, but a friend gave me a special opthalmology book that is more detail. I wish had evey speciality code books for OUR ASC, but they are expensive , but it would help. again i would go with 67120-trent

Go with 67120, although that is usually related to retinal procedures/problems.

I think you should speak with the ASC administrators and tell them to splurge on resources for you so you can do appropriate coding and keep them out of trouble. It's NOT that much money and the ROI is big.

thanks vpcats, do you work at an ASC, if some do you have software or all books , or both ?

No I don't work at the ASC although we have one at one of our satellites. We keep books and have online software at all locations (4).

Generally speaking, every practice should have the most up to date books needed for coding - CPT, ICD, HCPCS, as well as any specialty newsletters and/or other publications that will help you with code translations and give examples that you can easily apply.

Rules are always changing and you need to have all the latest to do your job properly.

CMS has a lot of training modules. My MAC (First Coast-Florida) offers all kinds of coding "webinars" and they have online training modules. I am a firm believer in people knowing about these learning opportunities and having the time to use them. It helps you become a better worker and it helps the physician/practice/hospital, etc. stay clean and keep their money. The more YOU know, the better off they will be.

That's my 2 cents for now. :D