Wiki Removal of Intrauterine device and Cervical Polypectomy

carol52

Expert
Best answers
Hello I have a case where the Dr. was to a lap to remove both ovaries for masses and an IUD.
After placing the Speculum the Cervix was visualized and the IUD was removed in the vagina and a endocervical polyp was extruding through the cervix, this was grasped with a ring forcep's and removed.
Dr. continued placing the Trocars and noted that the ovaries were normal but patient had fibroids. removed instruments and closed incisions
I know I can code for the removal IUD but not sure about what other codes I can bill for.
Thanks,
Carol

For the endocervical polypectomy, look at 57500. I have also seen advice to use unlisted 58999.
If there was a diagnostic laparoscopy (seems very possible with your limited info), then 49320.
49320 In this procedure, the provider examines the inside of the abdomen through a laparoscope, a tubular instrument with a light source and camera, to look for causes of a patient's abdominal symptoms, including pain, swelling, and organ enlargement. He inspects the peritoneum, the membrane lining of the abdominal cavity, and the fatty vascularized tissues of the omentum, a large fold of membrane that hangs like an apron across the abdomen. He may brush and wash the area to obtain cells for analysis.
57500 and IUD removal are NCCI column 2 edits, so only bill both if appropriate (seems likely) with modifier.