removal of left ventricle lead

dms

Best answers
our physician removed a biv icd device and all three lead, in looking for the code for the removal of the LV lead I saw where Boston Scientific had recommened to use 33999 the cardiac surgery unlisted code.
I was wondering if anyone else has encounted this issue and would I be correct in using procedure code 33999
Thank you for your help

dms

Best answers
Removal of left ventricle lead

It's the removal of the whole system and a new DC ICD was implanted 2 days later.

lfuller

Networker
Best answers
I also am interested in this, my doctor removed IDC generator and 3 leads and
did not replace. Does 33244 cover all three lead removals?

Davistm

Best answers
Report 33241 for removal of the ICD pulse generator and 33244 for the removal of the electrodes. By description, code 33244 is used to report removal of ICD "electrode(s)" - in this case, all three. While there is extra work involved in the placement of a biventricular lead [codes 33224 and 33225], there is no extra work in removal. A biventricular lead is removed in the same manner as other transvenous leads - it is disconnected from the generator, dissected from the scar tissue, twisted counter clockwise and withdrawn.

Terry

Davistm

Best answers
After discussions with my fellow coders and some additional research, I want to amend my previous response.

Technically [actually], a bi-ventricular ICD is a three chambered device. Since the description for code 33244 states "Removal of single or dual chamber pacing cardioverter-defibrillator electrode(s)", it would be appropriate to report code 33999 in addition to 33244.

There may be new codes in 2009 that deal with bi-ventricular device issues: LV lead extraction and device checks/reprogamming.

Always learning,

Terry

kmpiper

New
Best answers
our physician removed a biv icd device and all three lead, in looking for the code for the removal of the LV lead I saw where Boston Scientific had recommened to use 33999 the cardiac surgery unlisted code.
I was wondering if anyone else has encounted this issue and would I be correct in using procedure code 33999
Thank you for your help
Hi Terry,
I just read the answer to this question on "The Cardiology Coalition" website, here is the website address:

http://www.cardiologycoalition.com/

The answer is the same as what you found but I think you'll find they expand on it too. It was a great find for cardiology info and after reading their January 2008 Volume 4, Issue 1 you can do a test and receive 2.5 AAPC CEU's.

Karen Wortmann, CPC

dms

Best answers
Hi Terry & Karen

Thank you both so much for your help, really appreciated it.

Donna