Wiki Removing the "A"

sinman0531

Guru
Best answers
So I have been working as a coder since October of 2019 when I passed my exam, however, because my position previous to my current one was a "full revenue cycle" position (meaning I did coding, billing, A/R, and payment posting) my supervisor at the time did not feel comfortable vouching that I had any specific amount of time just straight coding. I did take an AAPC approved certificate course, so I only need 1 year worth of documented experience in order to remove the A....does anyone know if they will accept hours (i.e. a standard full-time job is 40 hours per week, 40x52=2080) or does it have to be calendar months?

The reason being, I am considering taking a job offer that is much higher in pay compared to what I make now, and it would start after the New Year. My start date at this current job was 01/18/21 but I have worked a lot of overtime so I will definitely have the hours of experience. It seems silly to have this job complete a certification letter for 11 months, and then have the new job complete one for 30 days.....

So you have two ways of fulfilling the requirements to have the “A” removed and become a full CPC; (1) requires submitting two letters of recommendation verifying that the two years have been completed OR submitting one letter from your employer verifying one year of experience plus proof of completing 80 contact hours of a coding preparation course.

Now, keep in mind that if you took that course on-site it will normally take about 12 months which is time that can also be counted towards your recommendation letters. Plus, count the amount of time (while you completed the course and worked); the time that you worked...another 12 months equals two years. Now, find two individuals that can recommend you to write the letters.