Wiki Renal cyst drainage

Best answers
In reading the CPT book and Medlearn I chose 50390, 74470 for this but my trainer changed to 50390, 75989 I am assuming this is because a catheter was used....any thoughts?

Thanks....Sue

Drainage of a right renal cyst

History: Intermittent abdominal pain and urinary frequency

Technique: A timeout was performed. Ultrasound was used to localize the right renal cyst from a right lateral approach. Ultrasound shows a large cyst with its wall applied to the abdominal wall. Images were obtained and recorded in the permanent medical record. Using sonographic guidance a 19-gauge thin-walled needle was inserted into the cyst, a guidewire advanced, and a 8-French skater catheter inserted under fluoroscopic guidance. Catheter was coiled in the cyst. The cyst was then drained completely. We removed 500 mL of fluid. Fluid was sent for cytology and culture. The fluid was clear without evidence of infection. Injection of contrast in the cyst after drainage shows a collapsed renal cyst. There is no communication seen to the collecting system.

IMPRESSION:

Successful drainage of the right renal cyst. Patient will return in approximately 2 weeks to assess the effectiveness of drainage on her symptoms