Wiki renal insufficiency

mpate

Contributor
Best answers
When a doctor states a patient has renal insufficiency, what is the correct code?

It would depend on whether its chronic or acute. I believe these codes were revised w/in the last 2-3 yrs. You must choose one or the other. You'll probably need to go back to your doc and find out if its not documented.

sounds like you're going to have to go back to the physician and find out which one it is. I don't believe there is any code that states "unspecified" anymore. I guess that was CMS's purpose when they revised the codes. Without knowing if its acute or chronic, you won't be able to code it.

no code for unspecified renal insufficiency. you get to choose between acute or chronic...need more documentation to choose correctly...otherwise

renal insufficiency

thought this was interesting question, researched on internet, renal insufficiency is identified as renal failure.......not sure I am comfortable with that, but putting it out for others to for their opinion:eek:

Not sure I'd be comfortable w/that one either. If your doc says "renal insufficiency" and he does NOT mean failure, that could be dangerous. Guess it would depend on all available documentation.
Hey Mniski...if you're still out there, what did you come up w/for your situation? Did you get more info from the doc?

When you look in the ICD-9 index under Insufficiency, Renal .. the first pointer is to 593.9 (this is also where "acute renal insufficiency" is pointed to).

Then, when you get to the tabular list, the main heading for this ICD-9 code is: Unspecified disorder of kidney and ureter.

Underneath that heading a variety of possible diagnoses are listed, as well as the exclusions. One of the possibilities is "Renal disease NOS (not otherwise specified)."

By the way 585.9 - Chronic renal insufficiency is specifically EXCLUDED from 593.9

Don't overthink this and drive yourself crazy.

Have a good holiday weekend!

F Tessa Bartels, CPC